I know it’s been a really long time since I’ve updated this blog, but it turns out it gets a few hits every now and then. I started graduate school in the fall and found very little time to do any coding, which was quite unfortunate. However, I did start working on a few new things and have some good ideas for improving CBase Chess.
First of all, I’ve decided to try and make my board UI code more flexible. As it stands in CBase Chess, the board allows replay of games but not entering moves. The original code actually supports user interaction, but for the purposes of reviewing games, the property allowing user interaction was set to not accept touches on the iPhone. I didn’t like the amount of work it took to use my board, and I decided it was too coupled with the backend code; therefore, I decided to start working on an open-source implementation of a graphical board interface which will hopefully prove useful for both me and anybody else interested in programming chess for the iPhone / iPod touch. I will post code up on sourceforge sometime before school starts back up in January.
Secondly, I’m working on a rewrite of the internals of how chess positions and games are stored in memory in order to have more decoupled code. Furthermore, the code is being developed to allow generic searching of games, so that CBase can have a more in-depth search feature than just by player.
Finally, I’m looking at using the open-source ZipArchive to unzip new PGN files from The Week In Chess (TWIC) and add them to the list of databases in CBase.
Hopefully I will have plenty of time to work on app development during our month-long winter break, and would love to be able to submit an updated version of CBase by mid-January.